Mechanical testing services are a long-established mainstay of the business, and Rotech has a large, well-equipped sample preparation workshop and test house facility.
Mechanical testing is performed to determine whether a material is suitable for its final application, for quality control or in research and development to predict how a material will react under other types of forces. This is achieved by measuring properties such as Young’s Modulus, tensile strength, yield strength, elongation, reduction in area, hardness and impact resistance.
Tensile testing involves subjecting a sample to a controlled load until failure - i.e. putting it under tension. Our laboratory has the capability of carrying out ambient and elevated tests up to 600°C.
Hardness testing is defined as the resistance of the material to deformation. We offer a number of different types of hardness test, including Rockwell, Brinell, Vickers and microhardness testing.
Impact testing measures the energy absorbed when a sample is fractured at high velocity. Our impact testing services consist of the Charpy test method to both ASTM and BS Standards, and the Izod method BS 131-1.
Charpy impact tests can be carried out at temperatures ranging from -196°C to ambient, using the notch configurations V-Notch & U-Notch. We also carry out impact testing of subsize specimens down to 2.5mm size.
Izod impact testing is tested at ambient temperature and the sample is impacted in a vertical orientation.
Our services for metals and traditional testing include:
- Tensile testing - ambient or up to 600°C.
- Impact testing - Izod and Charpy to BS, BS EN ISO and ASTM from ambient down to -120°C and at -196°C. Determination of % shear and lateral expansion.
- Hardness testing - Brinell, Vickers, Rockwell, Microhardness and Equotip (not UKAS accredited).
- Bend, shear, compression/crush testing and torque (not UKAS accredited)
- Welding testing - procedures/welder qualification/production QC
- Fasteners - tensile/proof load/wedge head soundness/hardness
surface and core/decarburisation tests